Friday, March 20, 2009

Charles Darwin




Whenever I think of botanical drawings, I think of Charles Darwin's collection of plants he studied throughout his travels. In organic drawing (especially in figure and botanical drawings), I find that the scientific explanation or unraveling of the object to be extremely useful in its reproduction (my mother wanted me to be a medical illustrator, but I still am unsure of how I feel about an actual cadaver). Charles Darwin, though not a conventionally recognized artist, exemplifies this scientific approach to art. His drawings of the unique flora often include studies of the flower in full rendition or in pieces, revealing the inner workings. He captures the oddities of new plants he encounters. His botanical drawings fearlessly render the unknown, just as we are assigned to explore and create new spaces with organic forms.

Stevie,
Did Darwin draw these? I explored online for the answer. Where these the work of John Bartrum? Do you know John Bartram's work?

No comments:

Post a Comment